One womens story against an a invisable illness

One womens story against an a invisable illness

Thursday 16 September 2010

Good and bad people

Hey everyone,

This week I've had good and bad experience on the way people treat disabled people. My first experience is bad.

The bad experience I had was being refused and prosecuted by a bus driver. I tried to get on a bus with my husband and my baby in a buggy, the bus driver said there was no room on the bus even though there was no buggy's or wheelchairs in the buggy park. When I said to him there was no-one there he mumble something that I couldn't hear so I said "sorry I didn't hear you" he said
"you can hear me your just no listening to me" now bear in mind that I am half deaf and have suffered with hearing problems all my life but have learnt to deal with it. So when he said that I said "I am listening I just can't hear you" to that he replied
"you can hear me or just not listening" so by this time I had lost my temper and said "I want you number" he said
"what do you want my number for?"
"to complain about you!"
"why do you want to complain about me?"
"for being rude"
"I'm not being rude your just not listening to me" at that point a women who was present said to him "you are actually being rude" I said "i am listening I just couldn't hear you" he said "no your not your not listening"
"I want your number!" so to that he wrote down a number on a bus receipt and I got of the bus (as I had a foot in the door so he couldn't go) and got on the bus after. While I was on the bus I spoke to the bus driver and asked him if the number if he wrote down would be his number and he said that he had written down the speed dial number instead. Apparently a lot of bus drivers do it so that they can't be complained about and when the person asking for it asks for proof they say its written down on the screen and people believe them. Please be aware that, that's what bus drivers do and I would suggest waiting there and asking the police to attend so that you have a reference number and a back up statement. As you can see not everyone is willing to help disabled people especially public transport not all but most. If you know me and life in my area be aware of this driver! he is white, between 50-60 years old and has facial hair white colored ginger hairs. My sister who has a son with cerebral palsy has had trouble with this bus driver refusing her on the bus too. I'm thinking of setting up a campaign to have him sacked as he is prejudiced against disabled people and hope that I receive all your support.

On the plus side this week I was treated with great respect and dignity in New Look. I was there buying clothes and needed to try a few items on but needed mike assistants the problem being the obvious that his a male and their not allowed in the female changing rooms. I asked the lady attending the changing room if there was any chance of him helping me and she said that she didn't know and asked her manager if it was possible who was more then happy to help. They have a special designed changing room which is bigger then normal and has a seat. They were more then happy to help us and I was so impressed with the treatment I received. It just goes to show you that there is some good out there that even though some people don't treat disabled people with the respect and dignity they deserve there are people who do and thank you to those people.

Thank you for reading xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment