One womens story against an a invisable illness

One womens story against an a invisable illness

Sunday 1 May 2011

My birthday weekend!


Hey everyone,

It was my birthday on the 29th April and I went out both Friday and Saturday. On Friday we travelled down to Battle where we visited Yesterdays World, Yesterdays World is a museum built to scale streets of the past. The kids loved it, they enjoyed walking around real rooms and streets learning about history and my mum and step-dad enjoyed going back into the past too.















Its a fantastic place to visit the only downfall (and liturally
 the only downfall) is that the beginning of the museum is built in a lovely medieval house which can't be adapted because its a listed building but everywhere else in the museum is fully adapted for disabled people and the workers are more then helpful. We also (as it was the Royal wedding) saw replicas of the Crown Jewels.

If you have kids I would really recommend it as it brings history to life, it doesn't have complicated displays and has a fantastic "kids" quiz (although as an adult its still fun to do) through out the museum. There is also a playground for the kids with a play village while you can sit looking out at them while having a gorgeous English cream tea.


After the museum we headed to Eastbourne to watch Speedway. We had a great time there although it was abandoned halfway through because it decided to thunder and lighting! I always enjoyed going speedway but this is the first time of going while sick so I had completely different needs to when I've been before. As the temperature dropped I had to be inside as my body was crying out in pain because of it only problem being is it is upstairs and there is no lift the "wheelchair access" was a section outside so everyone had to carry me up the stairs.

On the saturday we travelled down to Folkestone to the Battle of Britain museum. I couldn't take any picture there as they have had thefts and attempted thefts, we also couldn't take in our mobile phones which made me really uneasy as it made us more open to vehicle theft. All the staff where really friendly and everything is on the ground floor so wheelchair access isn't an issue, the only problem is some of the display cases where to high so I couldn't see into them or if I could it was only partially. I would suggest taking older kids or those who are interested in the RAF or the Battle of Britain as its quite easy for children to get bored.








After the museum we had lunch at a lovely place built on the airfield, then went on to the memorial. The memorial was fantastic and the views were amazing! I loved every part of it and the kids had fun running around also finding their last names on the memorial wall. It was great seeing the pilot statue sitting looking out to see especially coming from the museum and seeing the sacrifice they made. It was also great to see the views of the white cliffs that they fought so hard to protect.


4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a nice time.

    Well done for getting out there. Lovely pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I was so proud of myself but boy am I suffering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday! So glad you got out and had fun with the family. Now rest for the rest of the week; I know how much you must be paying for it now. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete