One womens story against an a invisable illness

One womens story against an a invisable illness

Friday 14 January 2011

One year anniversary the lessons I've learned- Tramadol















Hey everyone,

In honour of my one year anniversary this month of becoming sick I've decided to write a few blog posts about what I've learnt.

I was put on Tramadol in January 2010 by my doctor with the dose of one tablet four times a day during the year and up till the point of coming off of them my dosage went up to taking two tablets four times a day.

Tramadol is a narcotic-like pain reliever, it is used to treat moderate to severe pain. Tramadol extended release is used to treat moderate to severe chronic pain when treatment is needed around the clock, it may also be used for other purposes. I was given Tramadol to help with pain relief for my back pain and the neurological pain.

I wanted to write about the true nature of Tramadol as I don't think a lot of people know or really understands the big effects of Tramadol. When I first was put on Tramadol the first two weeks I felt like a zombie, I might have been there physically but mentally I was high as a kite! I have no or little memory of those two weeks, my pram wheel broke and I needed to go to Mothercare to fix it and had to have my sister deal with it all while I stood there cross eyed and dribbling! Eventually I managed to function while taking them.

September of last year I was told that I needed to come off of Tramadol as I have Intracranial Hypertension which the Tramadol was making worse plus the Neurologist wanted to find out if some of my symptoms where down to the Tramadol. It was a really bad time for me.

I went through a serious withdrawal process, I began by cutting my dose to one four times a day from two four times a day. My doctor decided that this just wasn't quick enough for him and I had to go cold turkey, I didn't sleep for four days because of spasms. I fell into a deep dark hole and felt like killing myself, I spent two hours on the phone to the Samaritans (who do a great job!) in the early hours. I had sweating and the shakes, I was in so much pain had server spasms and restless legs, I had hit an all time low.

As the weeks went on I was able to manage the pain through Paracetamol and co-codamol and was more focused and alive from coming off them. I have actually found symptoms that the Tramadol was masking like how server the spasms were. In short since coming of the Tramadol I have had a better sense of reality.

Beware the affects of Tramadol and the fact that it is very addictive and has a major withdrawal, if your thinking or have been offered Tramadol by your doctor research it first and bere in mind what I have said as I went into it blinded!

Thank you for reading xx

From Wikipedia
Physical dependence and withdrawal
Tramadol is associated with the development of physical dependence and a severe withdrawal syndrome.[59] Tramadol causes typical opiate-like withdrawal symptoms as well as atypical withdrawal symptoms including seizures. The atypical withdrawal symptoms are probably related to tramadol's effect on serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake. Symptoms may include those of SSRI discontinuation syndrome, such as anxiety, depression, anguish, severe mood swings, aggressiveness, brain "zaps", electric-shock-like sensations throughout the body, paresthesias, sweating, palpitations, restless legs syndrome, sneezing, insomnia, tremors, and headache among others. In most cases, tramadol withdrawal will set in 12–20 hours after the last dose, but this can vary. Tramadol withdrawal lasts longer than that of other opioids; seven days or more of acute withdrawal symptoms can occur as opposed to typically three or four days for other codeine analogues. It is recommended that patients physically dependent on pain killers take their medication regularly to prevent onset of withdrawal symptoms and this is particularly relevant to tramadol because of its SSRI and SNRI properties, and, when the time comes to discontinue their tramadol, to do so gradually over a period of time that will vary according to the individual patient and dose and length of time on the drug

No comments:

Post a Comment